Correct as of 13.05.2020 at 12:00 GMT

Local support information for current students

Question Answer
What is the latest Dutch government health and advice? You can find the latest health and travel advice on Dutch National Institute for Public Health and Environment (RIVM) website.

We advise that you check this regularly before making any travel plans as this is an evolving situation and advice is constantly changing.

There is different guidance in place for students arriving from different locations, so it is best to keep checking the official advice before travelling.
Is Holland International Study Centre open? In the light of the current situation within the Netherlands, we have taken a decision to suspend classes at Holland International Study Centre with all teaching and learning continuing online until further notice.

We will be sharing specific information with all students on how to use and access your learning online so please keep checking your emails and look out for this guidance.

Should you wish to contact a member of the welfare team, students services or progression support staff please contact them via email directly.
Can I stay in my accommodation? Currently, The Student Hotel accommodation is open. You should continue to monitor your emails regularly and pay attention to advice from your accommodation provider.
What should I do if I am in the Netherlands and I feel unwell? If you show the symptoms of COVID-19 then you should follow official Dutch medical advice which is found on Dutch National Institute for Public Health and Environment (RIVM) website, along with details about how to self-isolate. You should also contact the International Study Centre for further information.

Do you have symptoms of a cold, or a fever of up to 38.0 degrees Celsius?

If so, stay at home, allow the illness to run its course and make sure that you do not infect others. You should therefore distance yourself from other people. You do not need to call your GP. Your symptoms are mild.

Are your symptoms worsening?
  • A fever (more than 38 degrees Celsius) and difficulty of breathing and in need of medical assistance?
Call your GP or the out-of-hours medical centre.
Can I travel home? In compliance with the Dutch government advice (here in Dutch) we are strongly recommending to travel only when strictly necessary. However, if you decide to return to your home country, you can do so and continue the IFY programme online. The decision to travel is your own one. In case you want to travel home it is especially urgent to make travel arrangements as quickly as possible, as many countries are already imposing travel restrictions. You are also strongly advised to contact the Embassy of the destination country before travelling for advice on how to get home safely.

Students intending to return to the Netherlands must consult the Dutch Embassy in the country where they are to obtain information on the latest measures in effect before making any travel arrangements.

Students should inform Holland ISC of any travel before departure.

Study information

Question Answer
Is my course available online? Yes, you should already be in contact with our centre staff about how access appropriate learning materials and the steps you need to take.

We are asking all students to continue to monitor their emails on a regular basis. You will be updated with details in advance of online classes going live.
How will you monitor my attendance? As teaching is moving to online learning, attendance will be monitored through engagement with online learning. More details will be provided by your tutors. Please continue to monitor emails for further information.
How can I complete my exams? We will provide more guidance on assessments and exams relating to specific programmes of study in due course. These will be in line with approaches taken by our university partners and, as appropriate, with guidance that is due to be issued by the Dutch government’s Ministry of Education.
How will my visa be affected? If you have already started your programme and temporarily returned home AND continue your studies online your current visa and residence permit remain valid. You must regularly check updates from the IND and Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If in doubt ask HISC staff for updates and advice.

If you decide not to continue your studies you must inform the Holland ISC staff of your decision immediately. Once the studies’ termination procedure will be completed our partner universities is obliged to inform IND and your visa and residence permit will be cancelled. Other legal obligations applies (e.g.: deregistration form the municipality register of persons). You are required to contact Holland ISC staff immediately to ask information to complete your procedure.
I want to withdraw from my studies. What should I do? We are committed to working with every student on the options to continue studying with us. You will be encouraged to continue with your course, where possible, by online delivery to ensure you can still achieve your academic and career goals and progress to your chosen university degree, on time, from wherever you are in the world.

If, within 21 days of starting your course, you decide not to continue with your studies, you can select to defer your place to a future on-campus intake, or withdraw from your studies with a full refund. You should discuss any plans to withdraw from your studies with your tutor.

If you choose not to continue with your studies more than 21 days after your course has started, you have two options available:
  • You can choose to your defer your place and we will work with you to find an alternative study plan so you can begin your studies at the next available intake that offers on-campus teaching in your chosen study destination.
  • You can choose to withdraw from your studies, and our usual cancellation and refund policy will apply.
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions page on our website for further information. If you do not wish to continue with your studies, please contact your College or Study Centre.

Additional Information

Where should I go if I have further questions?

For enquiries related to students who are already at the Study Centre, please contact the centre. Please send all other enquiries to

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Our latest guidance and updates, including information for current students, frequently asked questions and our move to offering programmes online.